Monday, December 05, 2011
Beady Eye's solid album tends to have a looser, more freewheeling spirit than Oasis' did, and netted a gold certification.
Entering to guitarist Gem Archer’s trippy recorded instrumental “Yellow Tail”, Beady Eye came onstage to a huge, glowing backdrop of the band’s name. Liam Gallagher wore a heavy hooded green overcoat and scarf that he didn’t take off for the entire set (which must have been rough) and announced: “This ain’t no folk song.” Liam was at his best, fully in front man mode now that Noel wasn’t on the same stage demanding half of the crowd’s attention.
Beady Eye launched the 70-minute set with a spirited, psychedelic “Four Letter Word.” Guitarist Andy Bell engaged in some tasty wah-wah work while Gallagher ambled to the front of the stage to sign a fan’s vinyl copy of the new album.
The lanky lead singer was his usual gruff self, frequently mumbling in a thick Mancunian accent. He noted it was good to “play in a nice venue instead of a toilet” (lol) and dedicated songs to the Manchester City soccer team (which won 5-1 its match that day) and his hometown posse.
A fan held up a big Manchester City football scarf, which Liam took and thrust into the air proudly, eliciting screams from the handful of Man City fans in the crowd. Often standing at the mic with his hands clasped behind his back, Liam’s voice sounded great. Their sound was consistently full and sharp. The stomping Who homage “Beatles and Stones” came across a real corker as Gallagher snarled lyrics about affirmation: “Gonna stand the test of time.”
Veteran drummer Chris Sharrock (who in the past has anchored the La’s, World Party, Lightning Seeds and Robbie Williams) played with total finesse, even on the mild rockers. His ace work was showcased especially well amid the jaunty stop/start rhythm of “Three Ring Circus”. As well as an idyllic “Kill for a Dream” and solo bit midway through the poignant but meandering epic “Wigwam”, with the latter’s methodical pace and psychedelic touches translating well to the stage.
Surprisingly, some Beady Eye non-album cuts fared best live: the folk-rock of “In the Bubble with a Bullet,” featuring Bell’s great slide work, and the ominous organ-led “Man of Misery” were among them. Keyboardist Matt Jones’ rollicking Little Richard-esque piano work on “Bring the Light” was an additional highlight.
The encore included more unfamiliar, impressive selections. A low-key “World Outside My Room” verged on skiffle territory, while the intriguing, Fender Rhodes-infused “Sons of the Stage” – a cover by short-lived Manchester pop/rock band World of Twist, who had a minor U.K. hit with it in 1991 – was spacey and powerful.
Beady Eye turned in a mostly entertaining set and definitely put on a pretty fun show.
A girl, Danni, said: "The show was entertaining. I thought I was gonnna snooze through The Morning Son however the ending was a lot more electric than on record. Also, I've seen Oasis many times. Liam's voice sounded much better than it used to."
Belgium’s The Black Box Revelation were direct support for the show, and delivered a fantastic set of bluesy, Black Keys-ian rock and reminiscent of the White Stripes. Another duo featuring only a drummer (Dries Van Dijck) and guitarist/vocalist (Jan Paternoster), they brought quite a thunderous sound to the stage.
Playing songs from throughout their 6 year career, including a handful from 2011’s great My Perception, BBR were extremely impressive. It’d be nice to see them get some more exposure in the United States, such as on the Coachella band lineup, as that would really be a great opportunity for them. Paternoster’s a master guitar wizard, and Van Dijck smashed the drums like a man possessed (as the cliché goes). They were excellent, and hopefully 2012 brings them even more success.
archives (click on the arrows)
- ► 2013 (149)
- ► 2012 (353)
- the King Liam Gallagher in the Queen’s New Year Ho...
- how about it then?
- 2011 top 10 goals
- and you're singing Shangri-La
- speeding highs and lows 2011
- Balotelli gives £1,000 in a pub and goes to church...
- guitar solos, Noel Gallagher-Beady Eye 3-7
- new sport: throwing plums
- Pretty Green Bullit in the Bubble with a Bullet
- life is selective, very selective
- Pretty Green sales: my advices, the must-have
- how the best club was born: Oasis hotel
- Noel Gallagher's new fans should be fans of Justin...
- Christmas gift: Tevez @ AC Milan
- Nowhere boy
- you gotta be crazy, having threesomes
- Beady Eye Italy pretty mod Lambretta
- 2012 different year, still speeding
- Noel Gallagher hates Christmas, Liam loves it
- the parasite Noel Gallagher the leech
- year 2011 video, Noel aka what a wanker!
- Torres @ AC Milan instead of Tevez?
- Liam Gallagher among hardest-working artists +NME ...
- Noel: Mancini is one of the best managers
- Noel Gallagher: anarchy is not the solution
- Kasabian in Milan, where did all the love go?
- Beady Eye 2nd album 2012 preview
- new McLaren 2012 preview. 1 February, presentation...
- Euro 2012 song
- coming soon: film produced by Liam Gallagher
- the falsetto Noel Farinelli Gallagher, the castrat...
- Liam most stylish man. Noel delicate fans. Models ...
- London sides face Italian jobs
- Beady Eye in Roma bootleg 2
- AC Milan birthday and Balotelli skills
- Noel Gallagher launches fashion line
- new book: Oasis history according to Noel blinded ...
- Noel & Tevez: wake up, losers
- Noel Gallagher plays with your nostalgia
- another anti-Noel: Tony McCarroll
- guess the girl, "call the kid BeadyEye" comp
- Euro 2012 England's group D
- Noel Gallagher, the media darling
- Aaron Johnson is Liam's choice for John Lennon
- great Beady Eye in Washington
- Chris Sharrock, there he goes
- oh Cecilia close your eyes and I will be with ya
- fans idolising Noel is proof that people are gulli...
- the solo artist you're loving is the reason why yo...
- Noel Gallagher in Milan bootleg
- Oasis' curse, bomb in Paris...will Tevez choose th...
- Formula 1 2012 calendar: different year, still spe...
- Liam: Noel's album is very civilized rock’n’roll f...
- Andy Bell, the anti-Noel
- films to watch at Christmas time
- Noel Gallagher in Amsterdam @ Melkweg bootleg
- Pretty Green from Milan fashion giants
- Heidi vs Manchester United 2-1 out of the Champion...
- Noel Gallagher in Milano @ Alcatraz
- year 2011 +Noel Gallagher: everybody hates English...
- Joanna Krupa is not the face of Euro 2012
- happy birthday Gem Archer
- Noel Gallagher AKA what a bitch! +Tevez @ AC Milan...
- women topless protest for Euro 2012 prostitution
- your jealousy for Liam's success with women is his...
- Beady Eye in Los Angeles
- Balotelli shoulder goal. Noel: goal of the year
- Liam: it’s not a good look telling someone to fuck...
- r.i.p. Socrates
- for the leech Noel Gallagher the little bitch, roc...
- Euro 2012 predictions and England rivals
- why England never wins: it's about time that your ...
- Euro 2012 draw & Trapattoni
- vote for the Nme awards 2011 and win
- Liam: it takes balls to go onstage and not play Oa...
- Liam transfixes Seattle
- from Zani: Milano mods & art moderna, the moral ca...
- ▼ December 2011 (77)
- ► 2010 (1026)
- ► 2009 (268)
- ► 2008 (43)
- ► 2007 (26)
coming up next... main events calendar
when you want:
20 November: Ennio Morricone @ Mediolanum Forum
7 January: Pretty Green @ London fashion week
31 January: new McLaren
Beady Eye tour (see gigography below)
June+July: Milano City Sound 2013
15->30 June: Confederations Cup, Italy vs Brazil, Japan, Mexico
end of the year: Jimmy Page new album and tour
- - -
Beady Eye gigography and next tour dates
30 May - Forum, Milan, Italy (the first "Noeless" gig since 1991 when he didn't join Oasis yet)
summer tour without Noel
16 November - Andy Bell unplugged - Debaser, Stockholm, Sweden (bootleg)
3rd & 4th March - Barrowland, Glasgow, Scotland +here and here + bootleg
6th & 7th March - O2 Apollo, Manchester +bootleg 1 +bootleg 2
9th & 10th March - Troxy, London +bootleg 1
13 March - Casino de Paris, Paris, france
14 March - E-Werk, Koln, Germany
16 March - Alcatraz, Milan, Italy +dvd bootleg
18 March - La Riviera, Madrid, Spain +bootleg
19 March - Bikini, Toulouse, france
21 March - Paradiso, Amsterdam, Holland (bootleg)
22 March - Ancienne Belgique, Brussels, Belgium (bootleg)
21 March - Paradiso, Amsterdam, Holland (bootleg)
22 March - Ancienne Belgique, Brussels, Belgium (bootleg)
12 April - Guild of Students, Liverpool (bootleg)
14 & 15 April - The Olympia Theatre, Dublin, Ireland here a bootleg image
17 April - Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland
18 April - Corn Exchange, Edinburgh, Scotland (bootleg and photos inside)
20 April - O2 Academy, Newcastle (a photo here)
23 April - Centre, Newport (photo and bootleg)
27 April - Centre, Brighton (bootleg)
29 May - Jelling Festival, Denmark (pics+videos)
30 May - Grosse Freiheit 36, Hamburg, Germany
9 June (Pretty Green birthday & my birthday :) - Heineken Jammin' Festival, Mestre, Venice, Italy +story here +photos here +win tickets here +discount here
11th June - Papillons de Nuit Festival, Saint Lo, france
25th June - Theater of Living Art, Philadelphia, U.S.A.30 June - Rock Werchter, Belgium (bootleg)
1 July - Main Square Festival, Arras, france +a photo here
7 July - BBK Live Festival, Bilbao, Spain
9 July - Oxegen Festival, Naas, Ireland
16 July - Melt Festival, Berlin, Germany (bootleg and video)
3 September - AX Hall, Seoul, South Korea
6 September - Zepp Nagoya, Nagoya, Japan (bootleg)
8 September - Zepp Osaka, Osaka, Japan (bootleg)
14 September - Twinkle Rock Festival, Taipei, Taiwan
+win the concert here
11 October - Volkshaus, Zurich, Switzerland (postponed)
13 October - Gasometer, Vienna, Austria (postponed)
19 October - Stadthalle, Offenbach, Germany (cancelled - not Beady Eye fault)
31 October - Theater Caupolican, Santiago, Chile
2 November - Teatro de Verano Ramon Collazo, Montevideo, Uruguay
3 November - Teatro Colegiales, Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 November - Personal Festival, Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 November - Planeta Terra festival, Sao Paulo, Brazil
12 November - O2 Academy, Sheffield
14 November - O2 Academy, Birmingham
17 November - O2 Academy Brixton, London
2 December - The Warfield, San Francisco, U.S.A.
3 December - Wiltern Theatre, Los Angeles, U.S.A. +another complete review here +win tickets here and here
5 December - First Avenue, Minneapolis, U.S.A.
6 December - The Rave Ballroon, Milwaukee, U.S.A.
9 December - Terminal 5, New York, U.S.A.
10 December - House of Blues, Boston, U.S.A.
7 June - McClusky's, Kingston (album launch gig)
19 June - Ritz, Manchester
20 June - The Camden Centre, London
22 June - ABC, Glasgow, Scotland
2 July - C-Club, Berlin, Germany
3 July - Uebel & Gefährlich, Hamburg, Germany
5 July - Backstage Werk, Munich, Germany
16 July - Mallorca Rocks, Mallorca, Spain
17 Juy - Ibiza Rocks, Ibiza, Spain
18 July - Benicassim festival, Spain
5 August - Lokerse Feesten, Lokeren, Belgium
9 August - festival Maishima Arena, Osaka, Japan
22 August - Gloria, Koln, Germany
Noel Gallagher solo gigography, and Low Lying Turds tour dates
(although his blinded fans say he's a "new solo artist", it's 20 years he's around and already played "solo" gigs previously (the first one in 1994), with the help of other people of course, as the Unplugged 1996, the gig for Tibet, the tour in 2006-2007, London, Milan, Manchester, Moscow, Los Angeles, Toronto, Paris, Australia, etc.)
25 March - Royal Albert Hall - London
(3 November - BBC radio Theatre - London, bootleg)
28 November - Alcatraz - Milan, Italy + review here +video bootleg here +audio and video bootleg here
lost interest... even Noel got bored of himself
10 April - Auditorio Banamex - Monterrey, Mexico (cancelled)
END OF THE HIGH FLYING BIRDS
fans leave the gig again and ask for Liam again
interesting stories, morning glories
- mummy's boy Noel Gallagher avoided the court thanks to his mum
- Oasis split because of Illuminati
- since Oasis first gig, Noel Gallagher telling lies
- Noel Gallagher's disappointing shows: Liam missing
- Noel Gallagher recycled songs for a miserable day
- Noel Gallagher is a genious... oh wait: genius
- Kerri the rolla girl with balls
- electoral campaign: vote warmonger Noel Gallagher US president
- OMD(evil) Noel GD Gallagher possessed by the devil
- cow(ard) godlike genius Noel Gallagher wants his sons to throw stuff at cows and Peta attacks him
- Joan Jett is embarrassed Noel Gallagher is Irish and calls him "an idiot"
- Oasis and football memories
- Richard Ashcroft in Milano @ Mtv Supersonic 2006
- the controversial, enigmatic figure of Sara MacDonald
- journalist banned from Noel gig for bad album review
- the King Liam Gallagher in the Queen’s New Year Honors list
- Liam Gallagher among hardest-working artists
- Italian 60s songs - updated (part 2)
- Led Zeppelin groupies and under-age sex
- Liam: Noel makes very bad Oasis covers
- Liam: "Noel's got to realise he's not that good without me" +Oasis film
- despite esoteric nods to Italian composers, Noel Gallagher isn't cool anymore
- Donovan Gallagher: if I had a gun, I'd shoot a poo out of my bum
- the truth behind gig "attack" on Noel Gallagher: he smacked himself
- great success for the book attacking Noel, to become a film
- Noel: Beady Eye continuation of Oasis, Liam great voice
- Noel: sorry Liam
- cement cemented my passion
- Andy on Noel: bollocks, he lies and manipulates the press, that's his life
- Face Off: Noel vs Liam, 20-34
- Liam: Noel is a liar
- Noel as Berlusconi about phone hacking
- is Noel really that much more interesting than Liam?
- has Noel Gallagher missed the chance to make a great album
- Pretty Green origin: Milan
- the Beatles in Milan
- Mod style for Beady Eye
- Blow-up by Michelangelo Antonioni
- The boat that rocked, radio Oasisblues, harem of girls :)
- the Swedish myth: la dolce vita
- exclusive: this is why Oasis split up
- the Vatican puts Oasis in paradise
- Kate Moss music videos
- round their way (Manchester places)
- 1969-2009, rooftop Beatles last concert
- Hi-fi, alta fedeltà
- Milan saying fuck you
- Milano mod Lambretta @ Eicma
- the Queen only 1 time in Italy: Milan 1984, "somebody told me that Italians are the best singers in the world...especially in Milano!"
- the City of Milan tribute to Herbert Kilpin, AC Milan founder
- the English won the project for Milan CityLife park 2015
- Milan world capital of football, Berlusconi the most successful
- from Zani: a brief history of "groupies" +Almost famous
- Liam to Marco: "nice jacket", lol. Liam: Beady Eye are sexy
- nostalgia of the 80s: when I'm down and feeling blue, I open my beady eyes and visit oasisblues
- Battle of the bands: Beady Eye vs Suede - the Britpop wars return, fashion & cars
- they could be famous footballers
- Noel Gallagher belonging to the Illuminati?
- 5-10-15-20-25-30-35-40 Andy Bell +Marco :)
- Liam&Andy&Marco's 13 favourite albums
- Liam: I am Superman. You're going to pull a really nice-looking girl wearing Pretty Green
- Italian songs in the '60s: heavily influenced by the Beatles
- Kate itchin' in the kitchen for Vogue Italia
- Beady Eye creating process when Liam was in Italy for Pretty Green
- Knebworth to download
- Liam: I like that Balotelli geezer
- Message to love: Beady Eye @ Isle of Wight festival
- Paranoia the English destroyer
- Noel Gallagher featured in Milan's Berlusconi film
- the rules of Modism, mod living: clean living under difficult circumstances
- scandal: Euro 2012 should be in Italy. Uefa voters corruption and Poland can't even organize it
- the real first Beady Eye concert: Milan
- Kate Moss got married in Italy !
- best day of my life: Liam gave me as gift the Manchester City blue cashmere pullover
- Alan dated a model but found Oasis. Life seeing nobody, but we're not alone: saw a UFO
- Manchester City origin: my name, Saint Mark church
- the good ol' times: Oasis in Milan 1996: the better peoples
- happy birthday Presidents
- Oasis in Milan 1997: it's gettin' better Milan!!
- the Beatles in Japan
- Elvis Presley 1977 final concert & Liam's TCB Take Care of Business
- Led Zeppelin only 1 time in Italy, Milan 1971: hooligans war
- Rolling Stones private gig @ the Marquee: I got the blues
- foolish ashamed Patsy: I will never marry again. Marry me!
- England & Italy: are you "going to football"?! My generation LIVED football
- SCANDAL: ROBBED !!! It would have been a different match
- dedicated to Liam: thank you Elvis
- Johnny Depp launches record label
- our Milan sponsor'a Dutch girls arrested in South Africa
- the World Cup was made in Milan and arrived in South Africa
- Mick Jagger had sex with 7000 women. Let's fuck with everybody :)
- scandal: france 2016... boycott Euro 2016
- strange coincidences on Champions League sponsor.....
- Inter thieves stole the Champions League
- Kate Moss had lesbian sex with Courtney Love in Milan
- looking for a scandal
- mod Lambretta from Milan
- meeting the legend
- a rainy day inside Milanello
- a day @ San Siro
- Oasis cancelled on the pathetic green Michael Eavis @ Glastonbury
- Noel: I can’t stand having me picture taken, it really, really nauses me up, I hate it
- You know you're an Oasis fan and you're from Milan when.....
- my wife and me, in the year 2043 ^_^