Sunday, June 19, 2011
Beady Eye is not much like Oasis in many ways — there's no fat on the tunes, which are often just a couple very catchy, familiar-sounding riffs strung together in expert ways with short killer guitar solos. The scale of the songs on the band's debut is small — the vibe is dreamlike and the point-of-view all new Liam —specifically Liam coming out of some kind of mystical, vaguely romantic haze and finding things looking pretty good. And Beady Eye, rather than playing for timelessness, plays more often for the hipster, the record collector and the (mod) music head. It's sound is more like a psych pop mixtape someone left in your car, expertly wrote with lyrics you can't quite remember but sounds you love. Is it a throwback or a step forward? I think time will tell.
Saturday night, the six-piece band played an early show at the Metro. Taking the stage in a Union Jack coat (same colours of the American flag) from his clothing line Pretty Green, Liam (sometimes bratty and moody on stage when his brother was present) was genuinely appreciative of the crowd, saying nice things about our town Chicago - sister city of Milan - ("You got yourself a nice little city" he observed, having seen it with "eyes open" this time), dedicating a song to the Italian origins gangster Al Capone and asking "How do we sound? I reckon Okay." midway through the set. All proof that this is Liam's labor of love—and he's loving it.
Kicking off with "Four Letter Word" (a kind of John Barryesque rocker punctuated with Andy Bell solos), into the Who-referencing "Beatles and Stones," the band's combination of honky-tonk piano jamming and twin guitars was moderated behind Gallagher's upfront vocals. By sets end, the guitars would come in full force. Note to soundmen: this is a brilliant way to get the audience involved and bring up their adrenaline gradually.
By track three, the Ride-like "Millionaire," I was smitten with the drumming of Chris Sharrock — who is truly the right man for the psych-retro-Brit-rock job — he even unleashed a stick twirl in the breakdown which made up for Gallagher's overally nasally vocal. By tune's end, the Metro crowd was smitten, too.
Beady Eye embrace psych not as noodling musos but as pop fans and this couldn't be any more clear on "For Anyone," which recalls the best moments of the oft underappreciated Hollies. Next, in "The Roller," the Beady Eye gang had their most Lennon-esque moment. By the time the band got to "Bring the Light," about seven tunes deep, its Brit-boogie had settled in like accepting a joy ride out with the bad boys. But it was also clear that the epics, the broadly affecting emotional pull of Morning Glory weight would never come. The Beady Eye tunes are a great a little rush, packed with more thrilling musicianship and Liam's dream-inspired vox, but they're not sing-a-longs, they're not bar-closers — I wonder if will we will fall in love with them in the long-run?
Still, few bands on this side of the Atlantic can perform with the kind of confidence we saw last night on the Metro strage — Beady Eye had the swagger to end its regular set with "The Morning Son," a song about waking up to your kid. After the baroque pop of "The Beat Goes On" midway through an encore which also included an cover of World of Twist's "Sons of Stage," Gallagher said "Thanks for coming out and having a look." Shockingly mature and patient from a singer better known for ridiculous boasting — but still rock 'n' roll. Maybe a short tour of the States is more conducive to civility or maybe someone has gained some perspective.
archives (click on the arrows)
- ► 2013 (104)
- ► 2012 (353)
- Liam: taking holidays at lake Como is beautiful, t...
- Andy Bell & Liam Gallagher deejays
- Liam the Legend: fuck Muse, they play fucking cree...
- Noel Gallagher deejay
- Beady Eye in New York City
- English girls in Italy: romantic fucking in the bu...
- OasisBeady demos
- win a drive by Martin Brundle and top tickets to t...
- Noel's honeymoon in Italy + Q Magazine 25the anniv...
- L'Angelo Misterioso: for you blue, Formula 1 fan
- from Zani archives: interview to Noel
- Hamilton not able to overtake, never able to make ...
- Ringo Starr European tour & Ringo-Liam condition
- McLaren shop to open in Milan
- meeting King Carlo
- Liam is rock'n'roll, Noel boring as sleeping with ...
- Manchester City store, part2
- soldier on: Pretty Green as our soldiers in Afghan...
- Andy Bell deejay sets
- Beady Eye @ Letterman bootleg
- competition: wear your blues shirt at Glasto
- do not offend Be Here Now with Noel
- Italian musician saves people from Irish Ryanair p...
- Beady Eye @ Letterman show (video added)
- Lewis Hamilton's into Pretty Green. Liam's Beatles...
- Japanese interview to Alan: I'll see a Beady Eye g...
- Pretty Green nominated Best Breakthrough Brand @ G...
- Kakà looks back to Milan for free. But comebacks a...
- Liam in friendly territory, dedicating to all the ...
- summer jobs for girls: teacher, model, journalist
- after insulting, Kaiser Chiefs like Beady Eye
- Inter Milan of illusions disturbing England: Capel...
- the snobbish superstar's wedding
- bona fide Liam's so cool he doesn't work the crowd...
- mature Beady Eye in the USA, still wearing the Uni...
- Button caught with ex by paparazzi + Roger Daltrey...
- win VIP pass to Monza race + "a Roma esiste il ris...
- Noel Gallagher to marry today, to Lady Godiva +mor...
- fights & derbies, mud on your face, you big disgra...
- the Swedish myth: la dolce vita
- Swedish music fans brace for summer festival frenz...
- the Irish think the Pretty Green parka is rubbish
- Noel Gallagher grows old
- Liam: I'm not going to Noel's wedding. There’s a l...
- tabloids defaming people
- AC Milan walking like an Egyptian
- why Mario is Super
- AC Milan shirt 2012
- Isle of Wight Pretty Green parka
- Hamilton to join Ferrari
- win the Reading festival with Beady Eye
- the kids at Wembley
- from Zani: Paul Gallagher, driving with passion: A...
- successful Beady Eye provide theme tune for comedy...
- Isle of Wight bootleg
- Pretty Green Covent Garden store
- Patsy Kensit and the easy growth of recommended so...
- Pixie Lott got wet on the Isle of Wight +Beady Wig...
- Beady eye to eye. Liam swiping Coldplay at the Hei...
- Isle of Wight best dressed: psychedelic Liam Galla...
- Beady Eye @ Isle of Wight, Liam wearing Great Brit...
- McLaren-Button incredible race! McLaren in assetto...
- win Scottish Paul Di Resta race gloves and tickets...
- above the clouds
- the hail song
- Heineken Jammin Festival photos
- babies go oasis and led zeppelin
- Alan: people just think I’m fucking mental
- Kate Moss at the Isle of Wight festival with Beady...
- nervous Liam dislikes Venice hotel and Heineken: s...
- Noel Gallagher’s debut single: The Death Of You An...
- Beady Eye in Florence: my last gig
- naked & high Meg groped her maid
- Paul Weller launches first standalone fashion coll...
- the Beat goes on artwork
- Tea here now: Noel's Guide to have 20 cups a day
- different year Formula 1 2012: 21 races, back in t...
- Beady Eye 3rd single: The beat goes on. Liam bring...
- Noel says "I want Liam at my wedding" at his stag ...
- Robbie Williams to launch fashion label to rival L...
- win a VIP trip to the Goodwood Festival of Speed
- Beady Eye in Moscow, Russia
- Miss North Italy 2011: pretty green girl
- Cup with AC Milan & Barcelona. Another identikit d...
- Isle of Wight festival on tv in 3D
- 3 short girls for Noel stag night + job offer
- mama Gallagher orders Noel & Liam "reunite": Liam ...
- no Beady Eye @ Formula 1 rocks Milan: Milan doesn'...
- Beady Eye in Sankt Peterburg, Russia
- Liam: Bob Dylan is a miserable cunt
- the Relays seeking band members
- the first Pretty Green Welsh store opens in Cardif...
- S.O.S. 2011 escape from Milan, please help me: nee...
- Noel Gallagher to "marry with children" on 18 June...
- Liam and Phil, born with the gift of the gaffe
- exclusive: this is why Oasis split up
- Andy's ex wife Idha Ovelius from Oasis' Creation R...
- Не упасть с крокодила, do not fall off the crocodi...
- ▼ June 2011 (98)
- ► 2010 (1026)
- ► 2009 (268)
- ► 2008 (43)
- ► 2007 (26)
coming up next... main events calendar
when you want:
20 November: Ennio Morricone @ Mediolanum Forum
7 January: Pretty Green @ London fashion week
31 January: new McLaren
Beady Eye tour (see gigography below)
June+July: Milano City Sound 2013
15->30 June: Confederations Cup, Italy vs Brazil, Japan, Mexico
end of the year: Jimmy Page new album and tour
- - -
Beady Eye gigography and next tour dates
30 May - Forum, Milan, Italy (the first "Noeless" gig since 1991 when he didn't join Oasis yet)
summer tour without Noel
16 November - Andy Bell unplugged - Debaser, Stockholm, Sweden (bootleg)
3rd & 4th March - Barrowland, Glasgow, Scotland +here and here + bootleg
6th & 7th March - O2 Apollo, Manchester +bootleg 1 +bootleg 2
9th & 10th March - Troxy, London +bootleg 1
13 March - Casino de Paris, Paris, france
14 March - E-Werk, Koln, Germany
16 March - Alcatraz, Milan, Italy +dvd bootleg
18 March - La Riviera, Madrid, Spain +bootleg
19 March - Bikini, Toulouse, france
21 March - Paradiso, Amsterdam, Holland (bootleg)
22 March - Ancienne Belgique, Brussels, Belgium (bootleg)
21 March - Paradiso, Amsterdam, Holland (bootleg)
22 March - Ancienne Belgique, Brussels, Belgium (bootleg)
12 April - Guild of Students, Liverpool (bootleg)
14 & 15 April - The Olympia Theatre, Dublin, Ireland here a bootleg image
17 April - Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland
18 April - Corn Exchange, Edinburgh, Scotland (bootleg and photos inside)
20 April - O2 Academy, Newcastle (a photo here)
23 April - Centre, Newport (photo and bootleg)
27 April - Centre, Brighton (bootleg)
29 May - Jelling Festival, Denmark (pics+videos)
30 May - Grosse Freiheit 36, Hamburg, Germany
9 June (Pretty Green birthday & my birthday :) - Heineken Jammin' Festival, Mestre, Venice, Italy +story here +photos here +win tickets here +discount here
11th June - Papillons de Nuit Festival, Saint Lo, france
25th June - Theater of Living Art, Philadelphia, U.S.A.30 June - Rock Werchter, Belgium (bootleg)
1 July - Main Square Festival, Arras, france +a photo here
7 July - BBK Live Festival, Bilbao, Spain
9 July - Oxegen Festival, Naas, Ireland
16 July - Melt Festival, Berlin, Germany (bootleg and video)
3 September - AX Hall, Seoul, South Korea
6 September - Zepp Nagoya, Nagoya, Japan (bootleg)
8 September - Zepp Osaka, Osaka, Japan (bootleg)
14 September - Twinkle Rock Festival, Taipei, Taiwan
+win the concert here
11 October - Volkshaus, Zurich, Switzerland (postponed)
13 October - Gasometer, Vienna, Austria (postponed)
19 October - Stadthalle, Offenbach, Germany (cancelled - not Beady Eye fault)
31 October - Theater Caupolican, Santiago, Chile
2 November - Teatro de Verano Ramon Collazo, Montevideo, Uruguay
3 November - Teatro Colegiales, Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 November - Personal Festival, Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 November - Planeta Terra festival, Sao Paulo, Brazil
12 November - O2 Academy, Sheffield
14 November - O2 Academy, Birmingham
17 November - O2 Academy Brixton, London
2 December - The Warfield, San Francisco, U.S.A.
3 December - Wiltern Theatre, Los Angeles, U.S.A. +another complete review here +win tickets here and here
5 December - First Avenue, Minneapolis, U.S.A.
6 December - The Rave Ballroon, Milwaukee, U.S.A.
9 December - Terminal 5, New York, U.S.A.
10 December - House of Blues, Boston, U.S.A.
19 June - Ritz, Manchester
20 June - The Camden Centre, London
22 June - ABC, Glasgow, Scotland
2 July - C-Club, Berlin, Germany
3 July - Uebel & Gefährlich, Hamburg, Germany
5 July - Backstage Werk, Munich, Germany
16 July - Mallorca Rocks, Mallorca, Spain
17 Juy - Ibiza Rocks, Ibiza, Spain
18 July - Benicassim festival, Spain
5 August - Lokerse Feesten, Lokeren, Belgium
22 August - Gloria, Koln, Germany
Noel Gallagher solo gigography, and Low Lying Turds tour dates
(although his blinded fans say he's a "new solo artist", it's 20 years he's around and already played "solo" gigs previously (the first one in 1994), with the help of other people of course, as the Unplugged 1996, the gig for Tibet, the tour in 2006-2007, London, Milan, Manchester, Moscow, Los Angeles, Toronto, Paris, Australia, etc.)
25 March - Royal Albert Hall - London
(3 November - BBC radio Theatre - London, bootleg)
28 November - Alcatraz - Milan, Italy + review here +video bootleg here +audio and video bootleg here
lost interest... even Noel got bored of himself
10 April - Auditorio Banamex - Monterrey, Mexico (cancelled)
END OF THE HIGH FLYING BIRDS
fans leave the gig again and ask for Liam again
interesting stories, morning glories
- mummy's boy Noel Gallagher avoided the court thanks to his mum
- Oasis split because of Illuminati
- since Oasis first gig, Noel Gallagher telling lies
- Noel Gallagher's disappointing shows: Liam missing
- Noel Gallagher recycled songs for a miserable day
- Noel Gallagher is a genious... oh wait: genius
- Kerri the rolla girl with balls
- electoral campaign: vote warmonger Noel Gallagher US president
- OMD(evil) Noel GD Gallagher possessed by the devil
- cow(ard) godlike genius Noel Gallagher wants his sons to throw stuff at cows and Peta attacks him
- Joan Jett is embarrassed Noel Gallagher is Irish and calls him "an idiot"
- Oasis and football memories
- Richard Ashcroft in Milano @ Mtv Supersonic 2006
- the controversial, enigmatic figure of Sara MacDonald
- journalist banned from Noel gig for bad album review
- the King Liam Gallagher in the Queen’s New Year Honors list
- Liam Gallagher among hardest-working artists
- Italian 60s songs - updated (part 2)
- Led Zeppelin groupies and under-age sex
- Liam: Noel makes very bad Oasis covers
- Liam: "Noel's got to realise he's not that good without me" +Oasis film
- despite esoteric nods to Italian composers, Noel Gallagher isn't cool anymore
- Donovan Gallagher: if I had a gun, I'd shoot a poo out of my bum
- the truth behind gig "attack" on Noel Gallagher: he smacked himself
- great success for the book attacking Noel, to become a film
- Noel: Beady Eye continuation of Oasis, Liam great voice
- Noel: sorry Liam
- cement cemented my passion
- Andy on Noel: bollocks, he lies and manipulates the press, that's his life
- Face Off: Noel vs Liam, 20-34
- Liam: Noel is a liar
- Noel as Berlusconi about phone hacking
- is Noel really that much more interesting than Liam?
- has Noel Gallagher missed the chance to make a great album
- Pretty Green origin: Milan
- the Beatles in Milan
- Mod style for Beady Eye
- Blow-up by Michelangelo Antonioni
- The boat that rocked, radio Oasisblues, harem of girls :)
- the Swedish myth: la dolce vita
- exclusive: this is why Oasis split up
- the Vatican puts Oasis in paradise
- Kate Moss music videos
- round their way (Manchester places)
- 1969-2009, rooftop Beatles last concert
- Hi-fi, alta fedeltà
- Milan saying fuck you
- Milano mod Lambretta @ Eicma
- the Queen only 1 time in Italy: Milan 1984, "somebody told me that Italians are the best singers in the world...especially in Milano!"
- the City of Milan tribute to Herbert Kilpin, AC Milan founder
- the English won the project for Milan CityLife park 2015
- Milan world capital of football, Berlusconi the most successful
- from Zani: a brief history of "groupies" +Almost famous
- Liam to Marco: "nice jacket", lol. Liam: Beady Eye are sexy
- nostalgia of the 80s: when I'm down and feeling blue, I open my beady eyes and visit oasisblues
- Battle of the bands: Beady Eye vs Suede - the Britpop wars return, fashion & cars
- they could be famous footballers
- Noel Gallagher belonging to the Illuminati?
- 5-10-15-20-25-30-35-40 Andy Bell +Marco :)
- Liam&Andy&Marco's 13 favourite albums
- Liam: I am Superman. You're going to pull a really nice-looking girl wearing Pretty Green
- Italian songs in the '60s: heavily influenced by the Beatles
- Kate itchin' in the kitchen for Vogue Italia
- Beady Eye creating process when Liam was in Italy for Pretty Green
- Knebworth to download
- Liam: I like that Balotelli geezer
- Message to love: Beady Eye @ Isle of Wight festival
- Paranoia the English destroyer
- Noel Gallagher featured in Milan's Berlusconi film
- the rules of Modism, mod living: clean living under difficult circumstances
- scandal: Euro 2012 should be in Italy. Uefa voters corruption and Poland can't even organize it
- the real first Beady Eye concert: Milan
- Kate Moss got married in Italy !
- best day of my life: Liam gave me as gift the Manchester City blue cashmere pullover
- Alan dated a model but found Oasis. Life seeing nobody, but we're not alone: saw a UFO
- Manchester City origin: my name, Saint Mark church
- the good ol' times: Oasis in Milan 1996: the better peoples
- happy birthday Presidents
- Oasis in Milan 1997: it's gettin' better Milan!!
- the Beatles in Japan
- Elvis Presley 1977 final concert & Liam's TCB Take Care of Business
- Led Zeppelin only 1 time in Italy, Milan 1971: hooligans war
- Rolling Stones private gig @ the Marquee: I got the blues
- foolish ashamed Patsy: I will never marry again. Marry me!
- England & Italy: are you "going to football"?! My generation LIVED football
- SCANDAL: ROBBED !!! It would have been a different match
- dedicated to Liam: thank you Elvis
- Johnny Depp launches record label
- our Milan sponsor'a Dutch girls arrested in South Africa
- the World Cup was made in Milan and arrived in South Africa
- Mick Jagger had sex with 7000 women. Let's fuck with everybody :)
- scandal: france 2016... boycott Euro 2016
- strange coincidences on Champions League sponsor.....
- Inter thieves stole the Champions League
- Kate Moss had lesbian sex with Courtney Love in Milan
- looking for a scandal
- mod Lambretta from Milan
- meeting the legend
- a rainy day inside Milanello
- a day @ San Siro
- Oasis cancelled on the pathetic green Michael Eavis @ Glastonbury
- Noel: I can’t stand having me picture taken, it really, really nauses me up, I hate it
- You know you're an Oasis fan and you're from Milan when.....
- my wife and me, in the year 2043 ^_^